When it comes to my hair, I usually wear it straight, up in a top knot, or down and curled. I’ve seen so many hair curling tutorials, but usually the girls have very thin or short hair and they can curl their whole head in 10 minutes. I have thick hair (a lot of thick hair!) so it took me awhile to figure out how to get loose curly hair quickly. But I’ve finally perfected my technique so today I’m sharing three ways how to curl your long hair for beautiful wavy locks. You can watch my step by step video below or or read on for more tips.WATCH THE FULL IG TV TUTORIAL HERE:
1. To start this tutorial on how to curl long hair, I always like freshly washed and dried hair (or 1 day old). My thick hair curls best right after I wash it or within 24 hours. Firstly, I like to spray a heat shield product on before I dry or curl my hair. I love the way this Not Your Mother’s one smells!
2. I use a 1 1/4″ curling iron from hot tools. I’ve linked a similar one here currently on sale for $35!! The bigger the barrel, the bigger / looser your curls will be.
3. Before I start I also like to spray on a little TRESeme Medium Hold Hair Spray. I find that it helps my curls last longer. Next I part my hair into two sections, top and bottom layers, and grab a 1″ section of hair starting from the front and working my way back.
4. There are THREE ways that I curl my hair. I tend to use a variation of all three to achieve messier, beachy waves.
A. Curl your hair AROUND the barrel (do not use clamp). I curl most of my head using this tactic, curling away from my face.
B. Curl your hair using the clamp. The waves will be a little bit tighter, but give your hair more dimension. Run your fingers through the section afterwards if you feel the curl is too tight.
C. Pick a 1 inch section of hair, curl the TOP HALF away from face and the BOTTOM HALF towards your face. This will give your wave a “kinked” look. This gives you a more natural, wavy beach hair style. Adding in more dimension and texture.
5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 for top and bottom layers. When you’re finished, run a comb or your fingers through your freshly styled locks. Give your hair a hair flip and sake some of those curls out for loose big waves. If needed, spray on some extra holding spray and texturing spray for added lock and volume!